Friday, February 19, 2010

POLYMER CLAY MOULDS AND OF COURSE BOOBOO

After spending two days with Tory Hughes and then watching her DVD's all week I went in search of things that I could make moulds of.  The above is an elephant earring from a set that my mother gave me many years ago.  The trunks up so I thought it would be good luck.

This is some scrap clay that I had.  Make the mould, baked it at 265 for 3 hours.

I used Premo Pearl, made a ball, covered it with Pearlex Gold and put it in the mould.  They are about the size of a quarter.  I lightly antiqued them with burnt umber but the paint didn't stay on very well because of the Pearlex.  I coated them Sculpey Glaze to protect the pearlex, wire wrapped them and will be giving them to my friends Rose and Evelyn tomorrow for good luck.

This is an antique Cameo pin that I thought would make a great mould.

Here is the mould.  Baked for 3 hours at 265 degrees.

The base was done with scrap clay, the cameo with Pearlex powders and both were antiqued, but as you can see, the Pearlex doesn't hold the paint.  I made the base of the pendant thick so it would sit up from the base.  (Still working in the dining room so my pictures are less than perfect).  Will be back in my studio next week.  Glory, Glory Hallelujah.
These are the earrings I made out of the scraps that were left from the pendant.  Rose said I should post them because they are so different.  Thanks Rosie.

This is a mould that I made from the plastic button on the left.  It's good for stamping into clay.  So now I know I can make moulds out of anything in polymer clay.   Thanks Tory.

And last but not least is Booboo helping me crochet.  Since he was a baby he has had to be right there on top of me when I'm knitting or chrocheting and he lets me put yarn on his head and doesn't care.  It's been 18 years of his help, not sure I could crochet without him

If you have a pet, treasure them dearly, they give unconditional love and don't care if dinners late or the toilets get cleaned.  LOL.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

How cute! Elliott likes to help me knit and crochet. When I'm doing either, he comes up and says, "WhaddadoeengMomma?" And I say, "Knitting." Or whatever. And he says, "OH! Knitting!" And he sits and holds some of the slack yarn in both little hands and starts kind of mushing it together and says, "Look, MOHM! I DID IT!" I know you don't have kids, lol, but I still think it's pretty darn cute.

And I have that EXACT button! I did some mokume gane with it. Show me anything you make out of that mold. I'd love to see what you do with it!

Melobeau said...

WOW, you sure have been busy. Your mold and molded finished pieces came out so well! I especially like the elephant. Am I correct in thinking that you just used regular clay to make the mold? What kind of release do you recommend using? The mold pulls are wonderful, as are the finished pieces.

I'm curious what you used to antique the pieces. Sarajane offered me the suggestion once of mixing in just a tad of Varathane with the antiquing paint. (She recommended Liquitex paints). I tried that several times with and without Pearl Ex and it seemed to help adhesion.

Booboo is just the sweetiest. That picture is so cute.