Tuesday, February 2, 2010

BEAD ROLLER BEADS AND MAGIC-GLOS


Last month at our guild meeting I did a demo on using Magic-Glos and making beads in the bead rollers.  My previous blogs showed some of the Magic-Glos items and also pictures from the demo.  The above pictures are of a bead that I did in the largest bead roller.  It's hard to see the exact shape but I made it with green Premo pearl that I mixed with some and gold Premo and pearl Premo.  The redish color running through it was also made with pearl premo that I mixed colors in.  Sorry the pictures aren't better but the construction guy is here now talking to my husband about the work that needs to be done in my studio after the leak in the roof.  I miss my photo table.  I sanded this bead starting with 600 grit and went through to 2000 grit and then buffed it on my electric buffer.  There is no coating on it.


These beads were also done on the bead roller with some left over clay that I had from making buttons.  They have all been hand sanded and buffed.  My fingers are sore from sanding but it sure is worth the effort.

A couple weeks ago I went to the auto parts store and bought all the grits of sand paper that I needed.  I brought it home and cut it into 3 inch square pieces, wrote the grit on the back of each piece and made myself sandwich bags with one sheet of each grit in them.  I normally use my sandpaper 6 or 8 times and then throw it away so now I'll throw away the entire bunch and have a bag ready to go instead of stopping every time I sand something and getting the papers ready.  I found the auto parts store is the one only one that carries the larger grits of sand paper.  I usually start at 400 or 600 and go to 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000.

This was the front part of a Natasha bead that I had made from left over pieces of a spliced cane.  This bead does have Magic-Glos on it which gave it a really nice domed effect.  I decided to wire wrap it and will probably put on a black ribbon.

I'm still making and finishing buttons for our clay guilds exchange but I decided not to post them till right before the exchange.  This is suppose to be a surprise and I think I'll keep it at that.  I'll be surprised if I ever finish them all. HA HA HA
I DREAM ABOUT BUTTONS!!!!!


Taking a Tory Huges class this weekend, that should take my mind off buttons.  Can't wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful beads that you made with your bead roller. They are so shiny and vibrant. It really looks like were dipped in floor wax. I bet your hands were tired!

Rose said...

Muy bonitas. I have seen these in person and the pictures do not do these beads justice.

Cara Jane (surfingcat) said...

Wow I can't believe how shiny those beads are! How long does it take you to sand and buff them to look like that?