Friday, October 7, 2011

BASKET WEAVE WITH POLYMER CLAY

Last week I did a demo at our clay retreat in Prescott.  I thought it was called a basket weave but it was actually called Woven Ribbon.  It came from the winter of 2003 Polymer Cafe.  Not only was it fun, it was a big hit.  Everybody was doing it.  The Lumiere paints really add dimension to the clay.  I sold all the pendants I made even before they were cooked.  I had an order for two more so I made some today and a strange thing happened.  They stuck to the paper and three of them didn't feel like they were cooked hard enough.
This is after the first baking.  They look normal except for the paper on the bottom.  I decided to put them back in the oven (convection oven).  I turned the heat up to what I thought was 265 for Premo.  I had baked them on 250 for an hour.

After 15 minutes I smelled the burning.  The card stock is brown, the pendants blew up and got puffy and don't come off the card stock.  The black bottom layer of clay looks and smells like tar.  This was 2 packages of brand new black Premo that I bought at Michael's yesterday.  Never had this happen at the retreat or when I did it before.  This technique takes a lot of time to do.  I feel like I just wasted a whole afternoon.  Glad I didn't have the oven in the garage again.  I'm wondering if the Lumiere paints can't take the higher heat.  I know at the retreat we had them set at 265.  I just put the thermometer back in the oven and set the stat on 200.  In 5 minutes it read 475.  This is a GE convection oven that I've had for less than 6 months.  I bought it at Wal-Mart and didn't keep the receipt.  After 3 months I don't normally keep them because of all the paper that piles up.  I'm going to send GE an email and see what they say.
Watch your ovens.  Preheat them and check the temps.  We did have a lot of items get burned up at camp but mine weren't among them so I thought I was lucky.  We did have 6 ovens going at one time and the electric couldn't handle it.  As soon as the electric came on the ovens spiked again and what ever was in them burned.  Too much hard work not to be careful.

Here's my laugh for the day though.

3 comments:

Mª Reyes said...

Es todo precioso. Besos

Lupe Meter said...

Bonnie, sorry your lovely creations burned. I hate when that happens. Thank you so much for the demo. I need to get going on making some.

Melobeau said...

Those pieces, as seen in the first picture, are SO lovely. It's such a shame that there was a glitch in your oven and they burned. Sure hope you can figure out what went wrong. At least you have a photo of them in their not quite baked glory. Your Prescott demo must have made quite a hit with such a sell out of your pendants. BRAVA!